Putting food on the table is an issue we all deal with, but for those on their journey out of poverty, it’s a major barrier.
The Food Co-op, as an extension of our GAIN Initiative, provides 50% of a household’s food expenses for approximately 18 months as they work to move out of poverty.*
How it works:
GAIN Initiative members in good standing will have the opportunity to join the Food Co-op. As a part of their regular GAIN meetings, they will shop for a specified amount of food twice per month for a low fee.
• Extends, deepens, and strengthens the work already being done in the GAIN Initiative
• Serves a very tangible need in an intentional way — alleviating a portion of members’ grocery expenses as they work to increase income and savings, and to decrease public assistance
How can I get involved?
If you’re interested in participating in the Food Co-op,
contact Stephen Ralph by email or at 812.423.9222.
How can I help?
You, your church, or your workplace can sponsor a family for 6 months, a year, or over the holidays.
You can also donate food items (see recommended list below).
Your donations make a difference helping participants move forward on their journey out of poverty.
What are the best food items to donate?
• Tomatoes: paste, diced, sauce
• Beans: black, kidney, northern
• Pasta sauces
• Canned broths: veggie, beef & chicken
• Canned meals: ravioli, etc.
• Canned soups
• Meats: tuna, chicken, salmon, pepperoni
• Boxed meals
• Mayo/Salad dressing (e.g. Miracle Whip)
• Cooking oils
• Spices: ground pepper, chili powder, garlic salt, garlic powder, oregano, onion powder, Italian seasoning
• Feminine hygiene products
• Toilet paper
• Razors: men’s and women’s
• Soap: bath and hand soap
• Fabric softener
• Cleaning supplies
• Napkins/paper products
• Dish soap
• Laundry detergent
*The Food Co-op also partners with select local organizations on a limited basis.